Anchoring the coils and separating the fibre ends.
Using the twining base construction further along the length of the manila rope and looping and coiling the opposite side.
Finishing the ends of the manila rope by fibre separation.
The 3 long ends were bound with the jute and then looped through the main construction.
Beginning with 5 pieces of manila rope and a ball of jute string...
I'm starting with a twined base offset to the left of the lengths of the manila.
The first strand is used for bending and coiling to form a loop.
Carrying on with looping and coiling. I am separating the manila fibre ends to show the origin of the rope.
Approximately one third of the sisal fibres have been separated to form the rim.
Almost there. The separation of the sisal fibres has taken almost as long as the weave construction.
Showing the finished trimmed construction. I decided to keep the separated fibre section long although initially it was going to be much shorter but the balance between the weave section and the edge section works.
I started to shape the construction by inverting over a coffee jar which allows the warp threads to hang loosely.
Twisting the sisal rope warp threads over each other to make a firm top layer.
Starting to separate the sisal threads to form a trim to the edge of the construction.
Using sisal rope as the main warp threads in a twining construction. I bound the ends with jute string first to prevent them unravelling while I soaked the strands before using.
Starting the twining using jute string. Looks quite loose at this stage.
Twining with the jute string is beginning to take shape. The warp threads have evened out and the twining has tightened.